Featured Post

Tharp case still makes me cry

I initially blogged about this case as it unfolded, then re-titled the blog and condensed my comments. As far as I know, nothing has ever ...

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

ADA: the Amalgam Dental Association

Two quick notes re mercury amalgam dental fillings:

1. When faced with a lawsuit, the American Dental Association defended itself by stating that "The ADA owes no legal duty of care to protect the public from allegedly dangerous products used by dentists." Reference at http://www.afibbers.org/amalgams.html section "Amalgam fillings are a health hazard," second paragraph.

2. Since November of 2000, all dental offices in California display a sign that discretely reads "WARNING - Amalgam fillings contain a chemical element known to the state of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm." Reference same as above, third paragraph.

The more I know about the ADA, the less I like 'em. Ganged up, they did, on a dentist named Hal Huggins because he dared to exercise a little free speech (see "Open letter to the ADA," at http://www.apneasleep-snoringtreatments.com/Newsletter2.html ), and I was shocked to learn that dental amalgam is approximately 50% mercury. The good ol' ADA had me thinkin' it was just a trace amount.

Having researched this issue at some length, it seems - in addition to mounting scientific evidence - a matter of common sense. The most toxic non-radioactive substance on earth simply doesn't belong in people's mouths.

The best overview I've found is at http://www.newlifejournal.com/10-02/everett_10_02.htm including the link to Ask the Expert.